Chicken is a rich protein source and should form a significant part of your diet. It contains many vitamins and minerals such as B12, B6, B3 (niacin), riboflavin, thiamine, choline, biotin, Iron, Zinc, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and copper. It also contains the amino acid tryptophan which raises your serotonin levels in the brain. This hormone is key to stablising your mood.
Of course, all chicken is NOT created equal! Processed chicken contains lots of unhealthy fats, high sodium, preservatives and nitrites. Fried or breaded chicken such as chicken nuggets and chicken popcorn contain unhealthy fats and unhealthy refined carbohydrates .These can all contribute to causing heart disease, type 2 diabetes and various cancers.
Choose to purchase and enjoy eating organic, free range and ethically raised chicken.
This Seven Spice Chicken Wings/ Drumsticks recipe is quick to prepare, and a very healthy addition to your weekly diet. Give it a try… you’ll love it.
This recipe is adapted from the Carb Manager.
- Up to 1kg chicken wings or drumsticks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Mix all ingredients except the chicken, together in a big bowl.
- Next, using your hands, massage the marinade mix into the chicken pieces and leave all together in the bowl to marinade.
- Marinade in the fridge for up to 1 hour.
- Now put the chicken with the marinade mix into a glass oven dish.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 190C for 50-60 minutes
- Meanwhile, pressure cook, steam or bake accompanied vegetables of your choosing. Carrots, onions, broccoli, green beans etc all fill up the plate nicely.
- Enjoy this easy to prepare, yummy and healthy meal.
TIPS: I never seem to remember to marinade ahead of time, and this is delicious even with NO marinade time!
For a printable version: Seven spices chicken wings drumsticks recipe