Amaranth is naturally gluten free and is rich in protein, fibre, minerals (manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, selenium and copper), and antioxidants.
It is highly nutritious and is great for your digestion, building strength in your bones, and is anti-inflammatory. This grain has been eaten for thousands of years in the Inca, Aztec , Maya civilisations. Enjoying high quality grains is important for your health and whilst following a Nutritional Balancing program, and this grain tops the list (closely followed by quinoa).
(Copied from Nine Servings of Vegetables by Josephine Zanetti with permission)
- 4 cups spring water
- 1 cup organic amaranth
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Cow’s or goat’s cream
- Place the boiled spring water into a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add amaranth and sea salt, and once it begins to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally for 25 minutes or more until the porridge is creamy.
- If it gets too thick, stir is some additional water.
- Serve with cinnamon sprinkled on top (for Slow Oxidisers), or a dollop of cream (for Fast Oxidiser)
Enjoy this for any meals- breakfast, lunch or dinner as a starter.
Go here for the printable PDF version